Charles’ Bridge and Prague Castle
Prague Castle, founded in 870 AD, is the largest medieval castle in Europe. It was the seat of the Kings of Bohemia for centuries, and today the President of the Czech Republic rules from here. The Prague Castle complex covers over 7 hectares and is centred around three great courtyards. The dominant building within, and the most recognisable landmark in the city, is St. Vitus Cathedral.
Prague’s oldest bridge, the Charles Bridge, connects Old Town with Malá Strana. Dating to 1347, it was originally called the Stone Bridge, or Prague Bridge, before being named Charles Bridge in 1870, after its founder King Charles IV. Charles Bridge is adorned with 30 stone statues of saints and personages, added between 1683 and 1928.