Lucerna terraces opened to the public

Lucerna palace is a building in the centre of Prague, very close to the Vaclavske Square. It was built at the beginning of the 20th century and it was designed as the first multipurpose building. It is a multilevel open air galleria that houses The Lucerna Music Bar and the Lucerna Theatre, a formal concert hall, in addition to an assortment of shops, restaurants, coffee shops, and bars. Its terraces on the roof were closed due to operating reason but now they are being reconstructed and open to the public.

The view from up there is simply amazing
DSC_4175-HDR

DSC_4157

Then look down to the courtyard. The floor is actually a roof of passage with shops and restaurants…
DSC_4080

…and then look up.
DSC_4076

But if you look closer, some parts still need renovating. Like these chimneys.
DSC_4038

Or roofing.
DSC_4061

This is the top part of one of the surrounding buildings.
DSC_4040

Btw, the czech word “lucerna” means “a lantern” in English. And there is actually a lantern hanging at one of the entrances to the Lucerna palace.

Advertisements

Trip to history – Kirnitzsch Valley Tramway

The Kirnitzschtal tramway, also known as the Kirnitzschtalbahn (Kirnitzsch Valley Tramway), is an electric tramway in Saxony in Germany. The line runs through the valley of the Kirnitzsch river in Saxon Switzerland, from the town of Bad Schandau up to the Lichtenhain Waterfall. Unfortunately, the waterfall was a bit dissapointing as it is only artificial and is active only once in about ten minutes. The line opened from Bad Schandau as far as the Lichtenhain Waterfall on Saturday, May 28, 1898 and it is still in use today.

dsc_3329

Fun fact: The first service was delayed by 45 minutes when the car derailed on its maiden trip.

The line was operated a tourist service from the beginning, with service from May to October. In the opening year 80,000 passengers rode the line.

dsc_3334

The initial vehicle fleet comprised six enclosed motorcars and six trailers. During the night of July 26, 1927, fire destroyed the depot and the entire fleet. Traffic was restored on August 12 and continued until October 31 using borrowed cars. In 1928, a new fleet of five motorcars and six trailers built.

dsc_3335

The Kirnitzschtal tramway was reconstructed from 1985 to 1990. The very serious flooding of the Elbe in 2002 caused services to be suspended as the line’s Bad Schandau terminus, along with the rest of the town, was under 1 metre (3 ft 3 in) of flood water. Reconstruction of the Kirnitzschtal road, together with extensive track replacement, again caused suspension in 2003. On August 7 2010, another heavy flooding in the Kirnitzschtal caused damage to both the line and its vehicles. The depot was flooded to the height of the tram floors, causing damage to the cars motors, gears and axles. The line did not operate again until Easter 2011.

dsc_3362

The line is 7.9 kilometres (4.9 mi) long, of metre gauge, electrified at 600 volts DC on the overhead line system, and uses four wheeled motor coaches and trailers. It has seven regular stops points in addition to the two final stops. The single track line has two passing loops, one at the depot and the other between the Forsthaus and Nasser Grund stops. Loops also exist at both final stops, to enable the motorcars to run around their trailers.

dsc_3374

The line is unusual in that it is mostly “gutter running”, a type of track layout once common on rural tramways in Germany. In the case of the Kirnitzschtal Tramway, the track is laid in the southern, eastbound, lane of the S165 Kirnitzschtalstrasse road. Thus westbound trams heading towards Bad Schandau travel against the normal flow of road traffic, requiring heightened attention from both tram and road vehicle drivers. Although some of the line’s tramcars are double ended, only the doors on the south side are used, as all the stops are on the south side of the road.

dsc_3377

Currently the line operates throughout the year. In the winter months it operates every 70 minutes, whilst in the summer months it operates every half hour. The winter timetable is typically operated by a single Gothawagen motor car operating on its own, whilst the summer timetable requires three such motor cars, each pulling one or two matching trailers.